Thursday, September 10, 2009

Mom's Life Lessons

Today, my mom turns 60. She is a very youthful 60. She still works everyday. She runs around with her grandchildren and is able to help my sister and I out regularly. Her health is good. For all of this, I am grateful. I love my mom. She is always there with advice, but never pushes it. And above all, I know she loves me. Isn’t that what we all want from our mothers? I should tuck that thought away. So, in honor of her 60th birthday, I have composed this list. Here are some of the life lessons I have learned from my mom.

Love your children with all that you are.

Your house can never be too clean. This includes the garage.

A good relationship with your husband is the foundation for everything because together you can manage whatever life throws at you.

You can do anything you make up your mind to do.

You only have one sister, so get along.

Add a little extra flour, cool the cookie sheets in between batches and don’t over beat the butter in order to make truly excellent chocolate chip cookies.

Having children means your wear your heart outside your body.

How to have class.

You can’t treat each of your children the same. They are individuals and will need different things from you.

You can actually fold a fitted sheet into a square shape. (I, however, have still not mastered this task.)

Make holidays and special occasions memorable for children. This is the stuff that childhood is about.

How to study for a test.

You have to remember yourself every once in a while. You can’t give it all away or there will be nothing left to give.

What a crevice tool is and that the word crevice can actually be used as a verb.

How to love.

How to be the best mom I can be.

Happy 60th Birthday, Mom! I love you.

1 comment: