Monday, August 24, 2009

Laundry Fairies

There has been a slight shift around here in the status quo. Since I stay at home, the majority of the household chores fall on me to maintain. So, for the last 7+ years, I have done most of the cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. for our family. Pretty typical, I know. But, a pain in my you know what none the less. So, imagine the elation I feel when I realize that the dishwasher can be emptied by the two 7 year olds who live here!

Lately, B and A have been much more helpful in maintaining our household. They’ve really stepped up to the plate. (No pun intended.) In addition to the dishwasher tidbit, they can also help put away their folded laundry. Shocking, I know! That is my least favorite part of the laundry routine. Now, I do often have to go back through their drawers and tidy up what they’ve put away. But, I’ve found that if I just let go of the idea that their drawers need to look a certain way, I can get another task around here accomplished with a little assistance.

This is such a great feeling! In some little microscopic way, it signifies to me that they are growing and progressing towards becoming independent little people. Sometimes, we see these changes in big, meaningful ways. The way they handle themselves in a tough situation at school or with a conflict between friends. Sometimes, it’s apparent in the little minute ways, such as laundry.

What a feeling, that for the first time in a long time, not everything has to be my responsibility around the house. I’ve been raising these little people for 7 years. And now, they are contributing to keeping our family running on a daily basis. I have to say that this feels really good. So does not having to put away the laundry!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely HATE putting away the laundry! Why is that, I wonder?

    So glad you are finally getting some help...I find the laundry is just overwhelming at my house.

    ReplyDelete