Sunday, August 22, 2010

100 Things About Me

Time to celebrate! This is officially my 100th post. One of the reasons I have not posted in a while is that I wanted to do a 100 Things About Me list that is somewhat of a blogging tradition. And to be honest, I am also disappointed that it took me over a year to get to 100 posts. I should have reached this deadline somewhere around, oh, month four. Oh well, real life has a way of butting in to the best laid plans. So, without further ado, here is my list. Raise your glass with me now... Here is a toast to small accomplishments and to posting on a more regular basis from here forth!

100 Things About Me

  1. I am not good at thinking about myself. So, this list is hard for me. Maybe that’s why it’s taken so long to write.
  2. I love to write. When I grow up, I want to be a published children’s author.
  3. I started off as a Journalism major in college and then moved on to Marketing.
  4. I was going to be a copywriter. However, I ended up on the account side and hated every non creative minute of it.
  5. I am now a stay at home mom and I love (almost) every minute of it.
  6. I have three children.
  7. I have twins (boy/girl) who are eight and a three-year-old girl.
  8. Somewhere, deep down, I have always known I would have twins.
  9. One of the things I am most proud of is taking care of them without any help from the beginning.
  10. I feel like I have parented my twins in the exact way I always envisioned and dreamed of mothering.
  11. I feel like I have done the opposite with my third and I can’t get over the guilt of that.
  12. I feel guilty about everything. Parenting, relationships, use of time you name it and I can get some guilt going.
  13. I have been with my husband since I was 16.
  14. We started dating in high school.
  15. I was married when I was 20 years old. When you know, you know.
  16. That makes us married for 15 years already.
  17. I hate that when I tell people how long we’ve been married, I think they’ll believe I’m at least 40.
  18. I have good hair. It’s very thick and takes about 20 minutes to blow dry, which I groan about all the time.
  19. My eyes are brown. Everyone in my extended family has the same brown eyes. None of my children have them. Not a one. I still can’t believe it.
  20. Both B and A have a chin dimple, just like me. At the hospital, it was how I felt I knew they were really mine. R has a cheek dimple. It’s absolutely adorable.
  21. Chocolate. Is there anything better? I don’t think so.
  22. I don’t drink soda or anything with caffeine in it.
  23. I absolutely hate coffee and never drink it.
  24. Hot tea is my morning drink. I also love the ritual of afternoon tea. My mom and sister and I have gone forever. We now bring our girls.
  25. I hate sushi and I don’t care if it’s trendy or not. Why eat something raw and slimy, squishy? This is me-gagging.
  26. Even at 35, I cannot drink orange juice with pulp. I’m embarrassed to admit that I will seriously freak out.
  27. I love to cook. I am actually pretty good at it. Perhaps it’s from watching the Food Network constantly.
  28. I hate reality TV with one exception, Real Housewives of New York. And I don’t know if we can really count that as reality. But, it’s trash and I love it.
  29. Books. I love books.
  30. I recently bought an e-reader and I don’t like it. The smell of the paper, the turning of the page between your fingers. the knowing how much you have left to go, the writing in the columns or highlighting something that is so moving you can’t lose it- it’s all gone.
  31. Technology and me do not always get along. However, try to pry my iPhone out of my hands and I might take you down.
  32. I crave structure and organization. Sometimes, if my house is a mess, I can’t think clearly until things are back in order.
  33. Since I’ve had children, I feel dumb. My mind is not the same and one of my biggest fears is that it’s not going to come back.
  34. Laundry sucks. I am bad at it. We have mounds that I avoid doing at all costs. Someone please tell it to go away and leave me alone…
  35. One of the things that freak me out most in this world is the stomach flu. I cannot deal with throw up. At. All.
  36. I am considered to be on the shorter side at 5’ 3”. In my head, I am at least 5’ 6”.
  37. I have needed glasses since I was in 2nd grade. However, you will only ever see me in them if I am dying. Thank God for who ever invented the contact lens.
  38. I have never in my life worn lipstick. I just can’t do it. The makeup trend I am most happy about is lip-gloss. One time I spent almost an hour at the makeup counter trying to find a lipstick that would work and the girl ended up saying “You know, you’re right. This doesn’t work on you.”
  39. In good makeup news, I look like I wear a pretty light brown eye shadow but it’s really just my eyelid color.
  40. I think the good coloring comes from my Croatian and Czech side of the family and not the French side.
  41. My parents have been married for 41 years. They are so close.
  42. My grandparents have been married for 65 years. They are not close.
  43. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago.
  44. I am a city girl at heart.
  45. We have a perpetuance to move, but have lived in our current house for 4 years. I am antsy to move again. Damn recession and real estate market.
  46. The best time of my life was when we lived in NYC. Every day was exciting.
  47. I want to live in Europe at some point.
  48. I want to learn Italian so badly.
  49. I love music. I love the symphony. The first time I went, I almost cried it was so moving. However, I am not the least bit musically inclined. I am a poor singer and cannot read music at all. I think I may be tone deaf.
  50. On a similar note, I hate the opera. I just completely do not get it.
  51. Lately, we have begun to really learn about wine. I love red wine. The whites, I can do without. But nothing is better than opening a bottle of cabernet or pinot on a Friday and cooking and chatting with my husband about the week. Or sharing several bottles with friends on the patio.
  52. I like to entertain. I love having friends and family around us.
  53. My husband is my educator. He keeps me up to date on what is happening in the real world. Without him, I would be all Sesame Street and Sweet Life mumbo jumbo.
  54. We love to travel together.
  55. He is the keeper of my sanity.
  56. Right now, I can’t believe I am only a little over half way done with this list.
  57. In high school, I was a cheerleader and on prom court. How cheesy is that?
  58. I had a good high school experience. However, I only keep in touch with two friends from then.
  59. Most of my friends are from college and adulthood.
  60. When I was 10, my grandparents took a trip to the east coast. They were stopping in Boston. I begged them to get me a Harvard sweatshirt. It was my absolute dream at the time to go there. I wore that sweatshirt constantly for years. I wish I still had it.
  61. At that time, I also would tell grown ups that I wanted to be a Republican senator when I grew up. Who was this kid???
  62. My parents asked me to go to U of I in Champaign instead.
  63. My sophomore year, I withdrew from classes without telling them. I knew I did not want to be there. It is by far one of the single bravest things I have ever done. And one of the things I am most proud of.
  64. I ended up attending an art school in the city and loved every single minute of it. My only regret is that I did not start there as a freshman. You live and you learn. That’s what college is about. Finding your self.
  65. I feel guilty now that my parents paid for a college degree and I stay at home and am not using it.
  66. In similar news, I am completely jealous that my husband had the opportunity to go back to school for his MBA. Not jealous about the MBA, just the school thing.
  67. I am a complete math idiot. My 8 year old son, who is a math wiz like his daddy, can calculate faster in his head than I can. I, unfortunately, am not joking.
  68. I am artistically inclined. I can draw pretty well. I have a more difficult time painting. However, I would love to study it and improve. That’s the type of thing I would choose to go back to school to do.
  69. I hate thinking about money. I don’t manage ours at all.
  70. I am always trying to improve myself.
  71. I put everything I am into being a good mother. My most important goal in life is to raise good people.
  72. I hope I will always be close and have a good relationship with my children.
  73. I fear my heart will literally break the day they leave me to embark on their own lives.
  74. I love to take pictures. I wish I were better at it. I marvel at people that can take amazing photographs.
  75. I think everyone should give back to the universe in some way. I have tried to install philanthropy into my children.
  76. My favorite time of the day is early morning. I have always gotten up early and love to be downstairs by myself. I find it very calm and peaceful.
  77. I wish I could live by the ocean. It centers me and instills a sense a calm.
  78. I have anxiety issues. They suck.
  79. I drive a huge, honking SUV. I know it guzzles up gas by the mile etc. etc. Hate me if you want, but it works perfectly for us for now. One of the things I have resisted the most is driving a minivan. I just can’t make myself do it.
  80. I live in my car, but hardly put any miles on it. I just run around our little town constantly.
  81. I hate roller coasters and scary movies.
  82. I collect quotes.
  83. When I look at my children, I can’t believe how beautiful they are.
  84. When I listen to them, I can’t believe how funny they are.
  85. I am naturally pretty athletic. I get it from my dad. However, I am horribly out of shape right now.
  86. I have a knack for interior design. So, I have helped almost all of my friends and family do their houses for free. My husband believes I should open a business instead. He thinks about most things in terms of business opportunity. I do not.
  87. I have one sister. I love her dearly. We are almost complete opposites. I am the older sibling. I am totally the quintessential older sibling. I would like a chance to be the baby for once, but I don’t think I have it in me.
  88. I’ve always been unbelievable responsible and old for my age. My daughter, A, is the same exact way.
  89. I always wanted an older brother. How cool would that be?
  90. I love having a son. It’s fun to watch him. He is easy and laid back and so sweet.
  91. When I found out I was having twins, I just wanted one of them to be a girl. I couldn’t imagine not having a daughter.
  92. I am on a constant quest for happiness.
  93. I hate scrapbooking. Yet, I did one for my twins first year and feel obligated to do a book for R. She is almost four and I haven’t started it yet. It’s hanging over my head.
  94. I think one of the reasons I haven’t done it is that I have a hard time remembering any of R’s babyhood, not to mention the specifics of when she did what. I, of course, feel tremendous guilt about this.
  95. I have lost my wedding ring. I worried for a year and a half that this was a jinx.
  96. I did not vote for Obama.
  97. Blue is my favorite color and I do not have anything blue in my house.
  98. I never go for the bad boy or the dumb jock. The guy in the business suit turns me on every time.
  99. I am grateful for what I have.
  100. I live a blessed life.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great list. we seem to have alot in common. Guilt? check! Chocolate? check, check!! I just can't believe you don't like scrapbooking though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DO have gorgeous children. I share your penchant for guilt, your handicap at math and your distaste for laundry. Alas, I do not share your good genes where hair is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have even more things in common than I thought!! Glad you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic list!!! This could be my favorite blog list of all time. As for the math and interior decorating thingies...I have a 4th grader who hates math and hates me to help her even more, and my house could use some work. I'll see you here next week. :)

    ReplyDelete